Monday, March 09, 2015

Is that what was happening?


I guess it's time to get back to disconnecting  and reconnecting with my body.

Some of the things I will be writing about this week are things I have written about before, though it's been longer than I realized. I was looking for a couple of posts and they were from August 2010.

There were things that I pegged accurately then, but there were things that I missed completely, and have only started to see recently.

That includes that I was disconnected from my body. I did kind of know that I was missing weight gain. I was deliberately trying to ignore it, though it should not have been so possible, but I knew a while ago that I had blocked out that. I had no comprehension of how good I had gotten at blocking out pain and discomfort and all of these other things that I should have been able to notice and understand.

That's the big focus here, except that the reasons for the disconnect and the results and the methods all relate to the mind and spirit too, and there's not going to be any healing of the body without healing the rest. I have to be an integrated soul.

Here are the other things that I missed.

I knew that I got frustrated with everything in 9th grade, and I changed both my classes and my after-school activities for that. I thought that I had just gotten sick of theater; I did not connect it to the incident of harassment. I suppose I couldn't, since I was trying to pretend that it never happened. Now, yes, I think the incident that spawned the deep-rooted conviction that boys being attracted to me could only ever be a joke, and the unhappiness associated with that, may have contributed to my trying to make my life completely different.

There are things specific about giving up drama and going into sports management that are going to get their own post tomorrow. For now, there was something else that I hadn't grasped.

I knew that it was hard on me when Dad disowned me. At 17 I told myself that it wasn't that bad. At ages older than that, I had to admit that it was pretty bad, but I still didn't think that it changed me. Many of the things that I did after he stopped talking to me were things that I had been doing before, and so I could kind of convince myself that I was already developed enough that it didn't make much difference, but I think it did. I think it was kind of a final severance there, that I was on my own, and I could not count on anyone.

Coincidentally, I recently came across the Adverse Childhood Experiences study, and the concept of an ACE score. It focuses on the things that happen before you turn 18.

I don't know that I would have chosen that cutoff. My theory previously was that what happens in your first twenty years determines the way that you are broken, and then from 20 on it's all about starting to fix it. All of my breakage happened before 18, so point taken.

Maybe if that conflict had waited a year, I would only think it was my father who couldn't be depended on, and not the world. Maybe that's what the difference is. And maybe I would have learned to drive some other way, and be doing that now.

Where I started to see that more was when I had the guitar dream. It connected my beginning guitar class and my father in a way that I hadn't before, like there was an arc that started at 14 and completed at 17, and that's who I became. I don't think I have to undo everything about it, but I have to undo the false beliefs, and my method for that seems to be unraveling it all in painstaking detail.

For now, even though I don't play the guitar much, I'm still glad I have her. That feels like one of the few things that went right.


No comments: