Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Writing is hard


Writing Family Ghosts has been slow going. There have certainly been distractions, but on it's own it just hasn't tended to flow, even though I know where the story is going.

I was surprised by this, but I shouldn't have been. Writing the novel of Family Blood was easy, because I was simply adapting the screenplay. What I had forgotten, because it had been a while, was that writing the screenplay had been really hard.

It started with a really pressing dream, and the ideas were pretty full-fledged while I was writing. The project I'd been working on before that had flown, but suddenly the new one didn't.

Different projects have different energies to them. It's not that you can say they are better or worse, or that it would feel right to say that, but each writing project is its own experience.

Now, one thing that had been a little hard with the Family Blood novel was that it soon became clear that the way it needed to be written was that each chapter would be from the point of view of one of the characters. I had never done that before, but for this it felt right, and I like that it kept all of the characters well-represented, instead of two leads and a supporting cast.

I am also using that method for Family Ghosts. It has its own challenges. For example, yesterday I mentioned several false starts on Chapter 3, and part of it was that I just kept starting with the wrong character. I thought it was going to be Mark, and then Gus, but really, all along it needed to be Nate. Chapter 17 had been going great, I was almost done with the scene, then nothing went right. It was time to switch from Allison's perspective to Kit's.

It is a more complicated story in many ways. Blood takes place over four days, starting on a Halloween Wednesday and concluding that Saturday, November 3rd. (I guess that makes it 2012.) Ghosts starts the night of the 3rd and goes through to the day after Thanksgiving, November 23rd.

It is less of an action book. There are no vampire attacks. There is only one scene of real physical danger. It's more emotional though, because everyone is recovering from the trauma of what happened in the first book, and maybe things that happened before the first book play a role. So there are conversations that happen, and stages in healing, that need to come in the correct order for the appropriate impact. I've had to start writing out of sequence, and I'm going to need to spend more time editing than usual to get all of that right.

I'm going to want some preview readers. I want some musicians to read it and tell me if the band parts feel right. That is about being in a band too, not just being a musician. So I'm thinking about the various bands I've reviewed, and the musicians I've interacted with more, and whom I can ask. The tricky part there is that a lot of the ones I can ask are not currently in bands, so I'm afraid that particular favor may be similar to giving them a nice paper cut and pouring lemon juice on it. I'll worry about that next week.

The other area where pre-viewers will be handy is in the balance of delivering information from the old book in the new book so anyone can follow. I get annoyed with book series reading over and over again about the twins' matching gold lavalliere pendants, Claudia's junk food habits, and how George and Bess are cousins. I want to strike that delicate balance between, "Yeah, yeah, we get it; there were vampires" and "Wait, there were vampires?"

Initially, when I was thinking in terms of movies, I could see Family Blood and Family Reunion (book 3, sometimes this summer) as movies, but Family Ghosts was too quiet. It's the things that happen in between. As I write Ghosts, I don't know that I see it as a movie, but I am still very fond of it. There is friendship, and healing on multiple levels, and the ending is pretty happy, which was not true of Blood.

(The ending to Reunion will be much more similar to Blood, and then there's going to be a bit of a gap before I start the next three. I feel guilty about it, but I can add an epilogue that will be kind of a "Whoa", and that will have to be enough.)

Anyway, that's where I'm at. Family Ghosts will be available March 31st. Watch this space:

No comments: