Friday, April 10, 2015

Band Review: Anthony Green


One of the advantages in reviewing a young band with a small catalog is that you can learn it pretty thoroughly in a short time. You can spend much longer on someone who's been around a while, and still feel like you are only scratching the surface.

That's where I am with Anthony Green. I have been listening a lot, but I still feel like I am missing a lot.

It may have been helpful to spend more background time listening to Saosin and Circa Survive, because I haven't spent as much times with them as I would have liked either. However, my general impression at this point is that while there are similarities in the sound, that as a solo act Green gets much more personal, and also considerably softer.

It's not that the music is soft rock - it probably fits best into indie - but the music does seem more tender and focused on connections. I could be superimposing some of that based on listening to the commentary for Green's most recent release, 2013's Young Legs, but it does come across as more longing, and plaintive.

It covers a lot of ground. I was surprised to find an instrumental, with "Springtime Out The Van Window" (from Avalon), but then also surprised by the track's beauty, and how effectively it conveys that feeling of traveling past a spring landscape. From the same album, "Drug Dealer" lulls you in a way that could convey narcotics. There's a nice drama on the intro to "Breaker". All together, the effect of the craft is impressive.

Having said all of that, the song that struck me the most was "You Have To Believe It Will Happen", because it is the one that applies most to my own life at this time.

With an artist who puts so much of his soul into his music, it stands to reason that many different people will be struck at different times.

There is a lot there to discover.




No comments: