Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Current location


Much like replacing the mattress, reading a month's worth of screenplays was a thought that I'd had and dismissed.

It wasn't an immediate dismissal. I could see where it would be valuable, because it would expose me to different writing styles and ideas, and had the potential to both improve my writing and give me a creative boost. It was just going to take too much time.

The advantage of realizing that fine, this is what I need to do, is that then it liberated me from the pressure that I need to pound out two high quality screenplays that someone will buy and then my financial worries will finally be solved so I have to get that done RIGHT NOW!

That's not the schedule that I'm on.

Having slowed down, other things have happened. One thing is that my email inbox is looking a lot better. Some of the messages are old and I am hanging on to them so they will remind me to do certain things, which I am slowly getting done. That is relieving some stress.

Although I felt terribly guilty doing so, I could not resist signing up for a couple of MOOCs. I have just finished going over the material for "Microbes Rule the World: Effects of Disease on History". Technically the class was ended by the time I started, but still, I have now read and listened to everything. The tests were deactivated, but there isn't really credit, just a certificate. I was there for the learning, so it works. Some of the material corresponded with some story ideas that I have had, which was reason enough to take it right there.

I now need to start my other class, "Religion and Hip Hop Culture". That is still ongoing, so I am behind, but will be caught up. It will finish in time for "The Rise of Superheroes and Their Impact on Pop Culture". And there's that sewing class.

I guess the first thought is that it's like a sickness with her (but not a microbe-based one) - she knowingly overloads herself. Yeah, kind of.

At the same time, the writing shouldn't become drudgery. As much as I love it, it's hard to believe that could happen, but with enough pressure it might. And I need to have things to write about, so I can't become a complete hermit and be a good writer. There needs to be some balance, and I am feeling more balanced since making the decision.

This space right now is feeling pretty good. I am learning a lot. I am accomplishing things. I am feeling pretty good. Answers are coming.

There are still a lot of questions left, but I am starting to get ideas for what I need to pursue next.

At this point, it is quite possible that I am going to take a few weeks off of writing about my personal journey to write about television and movies and things. There are some things that aren't worked out enough to write about yet, though after this weekend, that could change. I had a long journal writing session that happened before I could write this today.

It looks like April will be about getting caught up on everything other than writing. Reading scripts will go on through May 7th or so. I hope at that point I will be able to launch into some aggressive writing. I had some ideas for how I want to structure my writing time before that got put on hold, which I think are still valid.

I question all the time whether I should take a break from blogging, even just a temporary one. So far, I still seem to need the outlet more than I need the time stopping it would provide. I will still be around. At least for now.

No comments: