Thursday, March 10, 2016

Band Review: Brand New


I have had Brand New on my recommendations list for a while, ever since Matt Rubano praised them. Seeing that I would be doing a review on his birthday, this seemed like the perfect time.

Once I started listening, the second song brought back a memory. Back when I was disconnected from music, no longer getting it through television and radio and not yet knowing I could get it through the internet, somehow one of the music channels accidentally played a couple of videos and I saw them. They were "Head On Collision" by New Found Glory, and "The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows", a song that stayed with me even though the band's name didn't.

Being reminded of that was already a good thing, and then getting to hear Brand New's other music was even better. Having done some making up for lost time, I can see where they fit into the time period better, and that's interesting. They start out with the earnest pathos of emo, but already standing apart by their energy and verbal cleverness. I am very fond of Your Favorite Weapon (especially "Last Chance to Lose Your Keys" and "Logan to Government Center"), but then there is this growth and expansion where their music becomes more sophisticated in later releases.

Not only is Brand New a good band to be reminded of, but this is also a good time to be reminded of them. Things going on now include this year's release of Leaked Demos 2006, with a chance to hear other versions of older songs; a 2015 single "Mene" that makes a new album seem possible; and a tour kicking off in June in Canada. This is all welcome.

So check out Brand New, and thank you Matt Rubano!




No comments: