Friday, November 25, 2016

Band Review: Litefoot


I remember first being interested in Litefoot's music after seeing him in The Indian in the Cupboard in 1995. I could not find a lot then, but seeing him again in Wacipi Powwow (viewed for my 2014 Native American Heritage Month) reminded me of him.

Rap is still not my favorite genre, and I found that the things I like least in general came through here. I kind of hate "My Chick", even though I have to admit that it's catchy. The sections that are more bragging in nature irritate me. Getting past that, then I find things that I can appreciate.

There is a consciousness to the form of his albums, often starting with a spoken word section that sets the tone ties the content together. This is true on The Messenger, but most touching on Native American Me.

As I seem to respond best when there is that extra consciousness, it probably makes sense that my favorite was Redvolution. It felt most powerful both in terms of the message and the music.

From the movie I was drawn to the chanting, and would gladly listen to that again, but the rap has its strengths as well.




No comments: