Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Job update

This is a departure from what I was blogging about. It does fit in, and it is a topic that some people have asked about.

How's the new job?

I have been working for about a month now. That started about fourteen months after moving our mother into a care facility.

Did it have to take so long?

I am not sure. I did recognize that I was tired, and that I probably needed some time to recover. I didn't think it would have to be that much, especially as succeeding at work is part of the recovery.

When I was being paid for caring for Mom, even though it was not a lot, I totally felt that boost from getting a pay check. However, there was still a lot about that particular job that could be very discouraging.

Also, there was no distance to be had. I was really only off the clock during respite time. If something went wrong during that time, I was sure to hear about it.

I currently have a set time to log in and log out. That includes breaks, and my time is my time.

It's been a while.

Possibly one thing that slowed my job search was trying to apply for jobs other than call centers. It's not the only thing I am capable of doing, but it might be the thing that my resume proclaims most loudly.

It hasn't been terrible. 

I am doing something I am good at and getting paid for it; that is very validating. Having it set up with clear boundaries is a bonus.

There are two other things that help.

Moda is a very good place to work. I was impressed before by how thoughtful and supportive everyone has been. We just completed a unit on trauma informed care, and I understand now why they are so supportive and aware. Those values are being applied to employees and to customers, and I deeply appreciate that.

It would appear to naturally flow from that philosophy that retention and growth is valued, so that means that after six months, I will have the opportunity to move to other areas. Being in a call center has not been bad, but it also does not have to be permanent.

As COVID breakthrough cases continue, with lots of people out there who revel in defying good health and hygiene practices, I am also pretty grateful it is a telecommuting job. That also saves me travel time, but the other benefit is that the pets are accessible.

I have worried that at some point an embarrassing bark or yowl will be heard, but so far it has gone pretty well. They may approach for pats, get some, and go back to entertaining themselves, and this has not been bad for the work environment. 

It is cutting into my reading-viewing-listening time, but that is mainly a matter of being more realistic about how much I can expect to do.

All in all, I am glad to be here.

No comments: