Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Selecting songs; somewhat serious

I am currently working on two Halloween playlists: one for Youtube and one for Spotify.

There will be more on that tomorrow. My sense of wanting to get things exactly right, and my preferences, make that complicated enough. It is harder with the videos.

There are so many songs without music videos that it is completely logical that for any conceivable topic, there are more options without a video. My strong feeling that each playlist needed to have 31 entries made that much harder.

The first way I complicate things is by refusing to use "Thriller". I do legitimately think it's overplayed, but also, I don't want to use Michael Jackson, because I believe that he is a pedophile. I don't really want to glorify or put abusive people out there.

That put me in a quandary with both theme songs from Ghostbusters

That can make the prominence of Bill Murray in both videos difficult, but I can deal with that. As it is, among the people shouting "Ghostbusters!" in the Ray Parker Jr. video are Jeffrey Tambor and Al Franken. 

You know, when I first saw that video, when it was new, I would not have been able to name either of them. I was also way less likely to notice what short shrift is given to Ernie Hudson. 

"On Our Own" is worse; that has Trump footage. It is a very New York video, so I guess his inclusion makes sense, but gross!

I can totally see the slippery slope argument here: so do I not care about Bobby Brown's drug use? I am pretty sympathetic to drug and alcohol problems in general, though they then often become the excuse for abusive behavior. Bill Murray's domestic abuse and cheating was tied in with his alcoholism. 

Do I just overlook Chevy Chase generally being a jerk? Yeah, kind of.

(Also, what about those accusations I refuted a while back? I actually have an update on that, which I will get to at some point.)

The other sad and obvious thought was that in the '80s there would have been much less concern about any of it. 

I am human, and probably not completely consistent in what feels right. I used both Ghostbusters themes for daily songs, but I am not using "On Our Own" in either playlist. I am using "Ghostbusters in both playlists. It is a better fit thematically anyway. "On Our Own" references the Ghostbusters, but it could easily be worked into a theme for a completely different movie. Also, Bobby Brown has better songs, whereas I only know the one from Ray Parker Jr. (Perhaps that should be rectified.)

There was one other sad thing about "On Our Own", but not sad that way.

Among the New York familiar faces there is Christopher Reeve riding a bicycle. I didn't remember him being in there, and he is looking so healthy and handsome and also good. He really conveyed a lot of goodwill. He had a good aura, I guess.

There could be no better Superman or Clark Kent. That was a pang.

No comments: