Friday, June 23, 2023

Kaepernick

It turns out I did not finish that thing I thought would be finished. I will write more about that eventually.

While I like grouping similar posts together, I have about 166 books, movies, and plays in the spreadsheet that I can write about; there is no shortage of topics.

You may be thinking, 166 seems kind of specific to use with "about". You are not wrong. There are some things that I did not put in the spreadsheet. I did not think I would want to write about them, or that they would fit my usual categories. Sometimes I am wrong.

In fact, I did not even review I Color Myself Different by Colin Kaepernick, illustrated by Eric Wilkerson, back when I read it.

One of the issues I run into with children's books is that I don't always feel like I have anything useful to say about them. I know some are great, or like different things about them. I find some not great at all, but still something that children might like. Is it worth reviewing some of those where I am more indifferent?

I Color Myself Different is based on a real event in young Colin's life when his class was drawing family pictures, and he used a different color crayon for his skin versus the rest of his family. Then the teacher is really affirming with him and with all of the other students, everyone is unique, the end. I mean, it is affirming but also pretty easy, and I didn't want to make a point of just saying, "It's fine."

With some of my more recent writing about children's books, it has reminded me that there is a need for lots of "fine" books, and I have also been more aware of how more kids might need that affirmation.

(Plus, people will literally go and put one star reviews for his books because he is himself, clearly without ever reading the books. "Fine" may actually have some value.)

On the other hand, I was extremely moved by the graphic novel, Colin Kaepernick: Change the Game

It was illustrated by Orlando Caiceido and written with Eve Ewing, whom I love. 

I was always going to want to read it, but it got my attention because of articles about the book and how Kaepernick was accusing his parents of racism.

I was pretty sure that was being interpreted more harshly than he intended, and probably more harshly than his parents received it, but I was curious.

I did know Kaepernick was adopted and raised by a white family. 

I did not know that he could easily have played pro baseball, or that he was raised in Turlock. Turlock was in my mission. I was never assigned there, but I have been there, and some things made a lot of sense.

It covers a time of Kaepernick needing to find his own path while in high school. He is being recruited more for baseball than football, and getting a lot of encouragement in that direction, but it isn't really what he wants.

There are not a lot of students of color at the school, but that is his friend group, and you can see that they need each other.

As he speaks out against casual racism and catches flak, you can see the seeds for his later path, and understand the need to make the choices that he did.

Along the way, his parents are baffled by his desire to grow his hair longer, and get it braided, and irritated with some of his social choices, like taking a Black girl to a dance instead of a nice white girl. They don't say it in those words, but you know in the background there is a sense of frustration with their son acting all Black.

I am sure they didn't even think it in those words, though the admonition to not act like a thug comes up.

Teenagers have a long history of frustrating their parents, even when everyone looks alike. However, when we don't talk about or examine the racism, we are more likely to fall in line with it.

That may hurt people you care about personally, but it does worse damage than that.

So really, both books are important. I liked one a lot better than the other -- the children's book is probably only for children -- but they are both important.

And I added a review.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58563479-i-color-myself-different

No comments: