Friday, June 02, 2023

Spotlight on Andrea Davis Pinkney

Three times now I have focused on different illustrators, reading as many of their books as possible. 

Generally I have found a wide variety of material, with some that I like much better than others, but it reminds me that a job is a job, even for creative types.

This is the first time I have done it for a writer, and to some extent I have found the same thing.

I came to Andrea Davis Pinkney via two of those illustrators.

I had read one of her books already, because it was illustrated by Sean Qualls in 2019 and 20. Then, when I was going through the works of Ezra Jack Keats, I discovered a book about The Snowy Day by Pinkney. Reading more about her, I saw there were multiple collaborations with her husband, a lot of history which is of personal interest to her (and me), and a lot of Black pride, but also some things that were probably corporate assignments.

One thing I learned is that reading someone's entire oeuvre is practically impossible. Even with an excellent library system and inter-library loan, you will see references to work that just can't be found. Over the fifteen months I was working on this, her Goodreads listings kept changing. 

For example, one work that suddenly disappeared was an untitled Frederick Douglass biography. It disappeared just after I had read Dear Mr. President: Abraham Lincoln Letters From A Slave Girl, which had supplementary historical information. It occurred to me that it had probably been something like that, a feature in a book rather than a book in itself.

That was part of a series, like the two She Persisted titles and Peace Warriors. Also disappearing were several Cheetah Girls titles and a book by Ossie Davis, Just Like Martin, that I can only assume she edited. (Still there is a specific edition of Misty of Chincoteague, which I have read, but not the one she worked on.)

Those were things that I found interesting about the process, though the important thing is really the books. For that, I found the range interesting.

I have not previously read many board books, but I can see the value of repeating those positive messages while a child is young, and letting them see something other than white faces in books, so they are growing up seeing themselves. Representation matters.

Then you see that continuing, with stories of lives in different eras, and different levels of fame, and facing different situations. There is a lot of variety, and that makes sense for books released over thirty years.

I was initially surprised by the length of some of the books. In between the picture books and the chapter books, there are some that are more like historical reference. One of these ended up being my favorite, Rhythm Ride: A Road Trip Through the Motown Sound.

My least favorite ended up being Teen Business Blasts Off!, a profile of several contenders in a contest for teen entrepreneurs. I suspect that was the most corporate, and yet I can imagine teens who would find it very valuable, and inspiring. Even more, if taking those jobs means that not only are you working regularly, but that you regularly get to collaborate on projects that are very meaningful to you, that has its own worth.

It is also easy to get a strong sense of family and community. In author's notes, Pinkney often refers to her parents and extended family, and one can also imagine some of the inspiration being driven by her children, especially on the work that collaborates with her husband.

Right now I am wrapping up something else with children's literature, but after I will see how many of the works of Brian Pinkney I can find. After all, I have a head start now, already have read about a third of his listed books.

Then I think I will move on to Brian's father, Caldecott Medal winner Jerry Pinkney, and Jerry's wife, Gloria Jean Pinkney, because it seems to be an interesting and talented family. And then, I will probably also be reading some more Patricia C McKissack, based on some collaborations with Brian.

Works by Andrea Davis Pinkney (with Brian Pinkney unless otherwise specified)

Board Books

(Bright Brown Baby)
Count to Love (2021)
Bright Brown Baby (2022)
Peek-a-You (2022)
Hello, Beautiful You
(2022)
Baby Boy You Are A Star (2023)

(Family Celebration)
Shake, Shake, Shake (1997)
I Smell Honey (1997)
Watch Me Dance (1997)
Pretty Brown Face (1997)

Picture Books

Seven Candles For Kwanzaa (1993)
Mim's Christmas Jam (2001)
Fishing Day (2003)
Sleeping Cutie (2004)
Peggony-Po a Whale of a Tale (2006)
Our Special Sweet Potato Pie (2007, with Cathy Ann Johnson)

Picture Books about Black History

Alvin Ailey (1993)
Dear Benjamin Banneker (1994)
Bill Picket: Rodeo Ridin' Cowboy (1996)
Duke Ellington: The Piano Prince and his Orchestra (1998)
Ella Fitzgerald: The Tale of a Vocal Virtuoso (2002)
Boycott Blues: How Rosa Parks Inspired a Nation (2008)
Meet the Obamas: America's First Family (2009, not illustrated, lots of photos)
Sojourner Truth's Step-Stomp Stride (2009)
Sit-In: How Four Friends Stood Up By Sitting Down (2010)
Martin & Mahalia: His Words, Her Song (2011)
Because of You, John Lewis: The True Story of a Remarkable Friendship (2022, with Keith Henry Brown)

Longer History Books

Let It Shine: Stories of Black Women Freedom Fighters (2000, with Steven Alcorn)
Hand in Hand: Ten Black Men Who Changed America (2012)
Rhythm Ride: A Road Trip Through the Motown Sound (2015, not illustrated, lots of photos)
Peace Warriors (Biography Profile Series #6) (2016, not illustrated)
A Poem for Peter: The Story of Ezra Jack Keats and the Creation of The Snowy Day (2016, with Lou Fancher and Steve Johnson)
Martin Rising: Requiem for a King (2018)
She Persisted: Harriet Tubman (2021, with Gillian Flint)
She Persisted: Ella Fitzgerald (2023, with Gillian Flint)

Short Chapter Books

Hold Fast to Dreams (1995, not illustrated)
Solo Girl (1997, with Nneka Bennett)
Raven in a Dove House (1998, not illustrated)
Silent Thunder (1999)
Dear Mr. President: Abraham Lincoln Letters From A Slave Girl (2001)
Teen Business Blasts Off! (2010, not illustrated, lots of photos)
With the Might of Angels: The Diary of Dawnie Mae Johnson, Hadley, Virginia, 1954 (2011, not illustrated)
Bird in a Box (2011, with Sean Qualls)
The Red Pencil (2014, with Shane Evans)
Loretta Little Looks Back: Three Voices Go Tell It (2020)

Anthologies

Be Careful What You Wish For: Ten Stories About Wishes (2007)
The Creativity Project: An Awesometastic Story Collection (2018)

No comments: