Friday, June 16, 2023

More diverse children's books

Having just finished with Andrea Davis Pinkney's work, and being not quite finished with a different section of children's books (which I will probably write about next Friday), this seemed like a good time to clear out other books that I have been reading over the time period where I could not blog.

I have written before about the value of diverse books and authors, so there are probably no surprises in me seeking them out. However, having read more than usual in a shorter time period, I did want to take a moment to go over potential quality issues.

Some of them are much better than others.

I don't worry about that too much. 

I saw once that you should read 1000 books to your child before kindergarten. There is room for many different books in there, and it is good that there will be variety.

If I were starting now, I imagine that I would start with a small library of board books, and I would keep checking out more books from the library. As I discovered ones that my child responded to more, or that I thought should be repeated, I would purchase those, but I would keep going through lots of different books.

Here are some options:

We Are the Change: Words of Inspiration From Civil Rights Leaders

Various children's books authors and illustrators have selected quotes that inspire them, and created a nice collection for older children.

Goodnight Racism by Ibram X. Kendi, illustrated by Cbabi Bayoc and Antiracist Baby by Ibram X. Kendi, illustrated by Ashley Lukashevsky 

Goodnight Racism is going to work better as a bedtime book, and can be a good way of introducing some issues early and gently. Antiracist Baby is probably more for the parents.

My Fade Is Fresh by Shauntay Grant, illustrated by Kitt Thomas

A celebration of different styles, but also acknowledging that sometimes you just want simple, and can be really happy with that.

Love In The Library by Maggie Tokuda-Hall, illustrated by Yas Imamura

Based on a true story, I am not sure that young children will relate, but it does give a gentle introduction to internment. Also, there is nothing wrong with adults reading picture books.

The Most Beautiful Thing by Kao Kalia Yang, illustrated by Khoa Le

Really gorgeous and heartfelt. While this is specifically about a family of Hmong refugees, it should be relatable for other families with fewer financial resources.

Robert's Snow by Grace Lin

A very cute Christmas story with wonder, adventure, and a cozy ending.

Once Upon A Book by Grace Lin, illustrated by Kate Messner

Having loved Lin's artwork for Robert's Snow, it is interesting to see her working with someone else. In this case the books is more ambitious, but even though it is about getting absorbed in books, I did not find it as spellbinding.

Ramen for Everyone by Patricia Tanumihardja, illustrated by Shiho Pate

Good lessons on the joy of cooking, learning from mistakes, and individual tastes. There is even a recipe included.

Kookum's Red Shoes by Peter Eyvndson, illustrated by Sheldon Dawson

One of the best written, in terms of carrying a theme and making it resonate, but also one of the most heartbreaking. There is still goodness that comes out of the heartbreak, because of compassion.

No comments: