Friday, September 22, 2023

Daily Songs 1995 - 1999

I do still like periodically exploring songs by decade. I do still remember some of these songs from back when they were new. 

Some of these I remember from movie or television ads, or in rare cases my sisters played them.

Real McCoy and Gin Blossoms were great discoveries when I got back from my mission and back into college. "Macarena" I know because they taught us how to do it at a dorm meeting, so I got in on that one a little early, while it was still mainly in clubs.

It was fun sharing "Barbie Girl" shortly after seeing the movie. If I'd seen the movie sooner, I might have used "Push" instead of "3AM" for 1996. I did use "Closer to Fine" for 1989, but that was over a year ago now.

The big difference I found this time is that I could not manage to go through and listen to all the unfamiliar songs. I tried.

It is not necessarily that there are fewer songs that I like during the second half of the 90s, though that could be an influence. It is more that I did not have the time and patience to make the effort. Life got too hard.

I don't know if I will ever get back to reviewing bands, let alone two a week. Maybe I don't need to know what songs were from what year, and be able to recognize all the hits.

I will still always be thinking about music.

Daily Songs

8/1 “Run Away” by Real McCoy
8/2 “Til I Hear It From You” by Gin Blossoms
8/3 “Roll To Me” by Del Amitri
8/4 “Gangsta's Paradise” by Coolio
8/5 “Kiss From A Rose” by Seal
8/6 “In the House of Stone and Light” by Martin Page
8/7 “I Know” by Dionne Farris
8/8 “As I Lay Me Down” by Sophie B. Hawkins
8/9 “Good” by Better Than Ezra
8/10 “Runaway” by Janet Jackson

1996

8/11 “Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)” by Los Del Rio
8/12 “Give Me One Reason” by Tracy Chapman
8/13 “Counting Blue Cars” by Dishwalla
8/14 “Follow You Down” by Gin Blossoms
8/15 “Name” by Goo Goo Dolls
8/16 “Only Wanna Be With You” by Hootie & the Blowfish
8/17 “3AM” by Matchbox Twenty
8/18 “One Headlight” by Wallflowers
8/19 “Breakfast At Tiffany's” by Deep Blue Something
8/20 “Missing” by Everything But The Girl

1997

8/21 “MMMBop” by Hansen
8/22 “Semi-Charmed Life” by Third Eye Blind
8/23 “Barely Breathing” by Duncan Sheik
8/24 “When You're Gone” by The Cranberries
8/25 “Sonny Came Home” by Shawn Colvin
8/26 “Barbie Girl” by Aqua
8/27 “When You Love a Woman” by Journey
8/28 “Unbreak My Heart” by Toni Braxton
8/29 “Foolish Games” by Jewel
8/30 “Where Do You Go” by No Mercy

1998

8/31 “All For You” by Sister Hazel
9/1 “Truly Madly Deeply” by Savage Garden
9/2 “One Week” by Barenaked Ladies
9/3 “The Mummer's Dance” by Loreena McKennit
9/4 “I Don't Want To Wait” by Paula Cole
9/5 “How's It Going To Be” by Third Eye Blind
9/6 “Bitter Sweet Symphony” by The Verve
9/7 “Tubthumping” by Chumbawamba
9/8 “The One I Gave My Heart To” by Aaliyah
9/9 “Closing Time: by Semisonic

1999

9/10 “Kiss Me” by Sixpence None the Richer
9/11 “Every Morning” by Sugar Ray
9/12 “Slide” by Goo Goo Dolls
9/13 “Learn To Fly” by Foo Fighters
9/14 “Fly Away” by Lenny Kravitz
9/15 “Unpretty” by TLC
9/16 “She's So High” by Tal Bachman
9/17 “Amazed” by Lonestar
9/18 “Jumper” by Third Eye Blind
9/19 “I Will Remember You” by Sarah McLachlan

No comments: