Thursday, September 17, 2026

Three problems: money, always money

I am treating these as three problems, but they are all connected.

My tuition is paid by the Trade Act, but I still need money to live. Student loans have been a part of this.

I wasn't expecting to be in school this term. When I realized I was going to be, I applied again. 

What I did not realize was that they are always assuming two terms of school. Whatever the amount you are applying for, they cut it in half. Sure, the other half would be disbursed during the following term, if I were still enrolled, but I better not be.

I am trying to get that corrected, but things are tight. There are grave concerns that are more grave because the job market is looking worse than it did when I started school.

That puts a pall over everything, but there are financial concerns related to my mother as well.

In June, the amount the government paid for her housing was reduced, adding another $2200 a month.

Worse, that didn't filter through to billing until August, meaning that while we can keep her safely housed and cared for in the coming months, we have to come up with an extra $6600 that is already owed.

It's only fair; we had finally worked out the very stressful problem of the death expenses, so now the issue is life expenses. That $6600 won't go away when she dies.

I should also add that we are very fortunate that it isn't more; memory care is horrifyingly expensive. I am here to tell you that this country is not ready for a future in which one in three adults gets dementia.

I have mentioned before that financially and energy-wise, staying with my mother for the time I did kind of ruined me. I have also confirmed that I don't regret it and I know it was the right thing to do. Part of that was keeping her safe.

I have wondered more recently if, for all of those people who have wandered off -- sometimes being found alive, sometimes not -- is it because they needed someone to watch them but their family just couldn't afford it.

Barely able to afford is still a step up.

Here's the thing: I know that at some point my mother will die. Despite moments of concern, I am pretty sure that I will be able to graduate. (I finally achieved the bare minimum of learners, so I can start putting that together.)

I don't know if there is a point where money won't be a worry.

We may not live in the right kind of world for that.

I can firmly say that the problems with payment for memory care and with the job market, especially for education, relate directly to this accursed government. So, if you voted for Trump or for a third-party, you have contributed to my family suffering, many other people suffering worse, and (unless you are in the billionaire class) it's going to contribute to your own suffering as well.

Small consolation, but there you have it. 

No comments: