Thursday, December 05, 2013

Band Review: E-Mute


I was initially confused by who was whom in the band, but I think I have it now. E-mute is not just the band, but also a person, who sings, drums, and plays piano. He works with many musicians, but also has three other people - Svetlana Vassileva, Darren Ashford, and Tolis Zavaliaris - who play with him when he is doing his own material  So the one in the shocking red pants is E-mute himself.

Based on the "E", I was expecting a lot more synthesizer and beeping, but that has not really been the case. They self-describe as alternative/rock/electronica at their simplest (they have a more complex description too), and that seems fair.

There are some electronic components, but with so much piano and guitar, that does not end up being the main sound. The piano especially makes a difference, whether it is being funky on Elixir's "Wake Up Call" or moody on "Across the Sea".

The song that made the biggest impression on me was "Clock Moves Forward".

The clock moves forward when life goes backward,
Sane conclusions of past confusions, The older you get the wiser
Don't worry. Don't worry.

There is a video, and E-mute smiles charmingly as he says it, so I believe that he is sincere when he advises not worrying, though I am not sure he is correct. Anyway, that song sticks. You should also check out "The Darkness Inside"; the intro is lovely.

I did most of my listening via Soundcloud and Youtube.

Music is available via iTunes, Google play, and Bandcamp.






No comments: