Monday, December 09, 2013

Comic Review: Demeter, Red Sonja, Rocket Girl, and Pretty Deadly


I know, two different posts reviewing comics within just a few days of each other is pretty unusual for me, but these are all pretty new, and I have just started reading them, and I wanted to take advantage of that. They vary in content and probably in target audience, but I will try and give some impressions.

Rocket Girl, written by Brandon Montclare, art by Amy Reeder (Image Comics)

Dayoung Johansson is a teenage cop from an alternate reality 2013, sent back to 1986 to prevent that alternate reality from happening. I guess it is sort of like the second Terminator movie, except instead of Arnold the protagonist is a freckle-faced girl, and so far there is no Robert Patrick. (And why it's more like the 2nd instead of the first has to do with some issues of how the technology develops.)

I'm not sure that's a good description, or that I would be interested in it from the description, but I wanted to see more by Reeder, and this seemed like a good chance. Her artwork soars, so having her work on someone who flies with a rocket pack was inspired.

Currently on the second issue, they are building some interesting relationships among characters, but the establishment of Dayoung has been the most important part. She is passionate, impulsive, and stubborn, so very 15.  You can relate to others who are frustrated with her, and still root for her. Those are not the qualities we look for in cops today, but in the alternative 2013 that is what is necessary, and that should be what carries the day.

Many of the other books being reviewed are more adult, but this one should be safe for teens, and really good for them to get into.

Red Sonja, written by Gail Simone, art by Walter Geovani (Dynamite)

This one is a little more adult, in terms of scanty clothing, violence, and general mayhem. I think it would still be fine for teens though; certainly for older ones.

What I appreciate most about it is the character of Sonja herself. She is impatient, but will put up with a lot, and is loyal. She is certainly given to excess, but even hung over she will try to give people options for not needing to be killed by her. So many refuse to take her up on that, but she still tries, and there is a humor about it all that makes her very likable. You understand why she inspires the same loyalty that she gives.

This is again only two issues in, so it would be easy to catch up. Gorgeous colors done by Adriano Lucas.

Pretty Deadly, written by Kelly Sue DeConnick, art by Emma Rios (Image Comics)

And this one is the most adult, with more violence, more sex and nudity (in a brothel), and also strange elements, like a rabbit skeleton telling the story to a butterfly. It's not for everyone, but it is fascinating.

I cannot tell in any way where this is going. I think I kind of understand the central conflict after the second issue, so that is big progress (for me) from the first. I'm not sure that matters though; it's something where you ride with it. Perhaps the riding is more literal, because there are horses journeying across the Western landscape here. Anyway, it gets under your skin, and I think it is the most visually inventive work I have seen to date. If nothing I have said about it already causes you to object to it, then you should probably check it out.

Demeter, story, art, and publishing by Becky Cloonan

You could view this as a stand-alone comic, or as part of a trilogy with Wolves and The Mire, or if we get lucky, it could be more, because I read recently that Cloonan is getting more ideas that could relate.


Of the existing three, none of them need to be read for any of the others to make sense, but taken together common themes emerge, where the environment exerts its own force, and no deceptions or betrayals can stay buried.

Cloonan has described these works as "the stories between the pages". I initially interpreted that as between the pages that she does on other series (Killjoys and Swamp Thing just to start). That can still be true, but I would also buy it as one where the plot points of the stories do not all happen on the page. The reader gets glimpses, but there is much that is hidden, and the apparent meaning may shift.

(I know this is very similar to my other review, but the works are related: http://sporkful.blogspot.com/2013/01/comic-review-wolves-and-mire-by-becky.html)

I go back to the pages, trying to understand them, but also because Cloonan's artwork is beautiful, and I can get lost in it again and again.

No comments: