Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Native American Heritage Month 2015


I finished while I was on blogging hiatus, and that actually led me to add a book that I had nearly given up on.

That was only one way in which the reading did not go according to plan. I had initially selected a list where I was sure the library had them all, and I was wrong. Then I was scrambling to find any book that I could. If you notice that my Amazon wish list suddenly has several titles with Native American themes, they are all books that the library system does not currently have. If you would like to give me some, I won't really need them until November, but I don't turn down books.

In the process of searching I found that I could get a free electronic copy of the book that I nearly gave up on. Having it downloaded is one reason I was able to decide to stick with it. Anyway, I read in roughly reverse historical order, and I will review them in the reverse of that, starting with the last one read.

The Myth of Hiawatha and other oral legends, mythologic and allegoric, of the North American Indians, by Henry Rowe Schoolcraft, 1856.

I wanted to know more about the historical Hiawatha, and looking in a folklore book to start didn't bother me, but the foreword was so condescending that I was getting really angry with the book. I decided it would probably get better once it got into the actual stories, which was fairly true, but then he conflated Manbozho (a trickster character, but not Coyote) with Hiawatha, apparently copying someone else's error, and the condescension crept out in other places.

Learning later that, after his half-Ojibwa wife Jane Johnston died, Schoolcraft married a woman who wrote pro-slavery fiction and became estranged from his children with Jane, well, it made a lot of sense. Cannot recommend.

Savages and Scoundrels: The Untold Story of America's Road to Empire through Indian Territory, by Paul VanDevelder, 2009.

This was pretty good. It gives the legal history of the policies that ended up being used in Indian treaties, which sometimes is very dry, and the history of specific treaties and land grabs. There are heartbreaking stories, with one especially literal one, when a man who worked tirelessly for his tribe at heavy personal cost was killed when "his heart just unzipped" (those were his son's words), but there is also a glimmer of hope. There are times when judges say "no", and law is upheld.

One of the most interesting things I learned in this book is that the Louisiana Purchase was for waterway rights and rights to make treaties with the Indians, not for the land itself. That's kind of important. The other point it really brought home is that whenever anyone talks a lot about states' rights and federal overreach, they want to do something horrible. They seem to have enough authority on their own for anything that isn't grossly wrong.

Code Talker: The First and Only Memoir by One of the Original Navajo Code Talkers of WWII, by Chester Nez and Judith Schiess Avila, 2011.

This was a great book. There is an easy flow to the reading, it gives the settings well, and you learn a lot. It totally makes sense to read it for Native American history, but WWII history buffs should love it. I have already blogged about this book a couple of times. Links are at the bottom to avoid redundancy, but I want to make the point that there was a lot of food for thought here.

Ojibwa Warrior: Dennis Banks and the Rise of the American Indian Movement, by Dennis Banks and Richard Erdoes, 2004.

This was also pretty good. Some of that is in comparing it to Russell Means' autobiography, Where White Men Fear to Tread, because there is so much more clarity here. That may be partly due to this book being much shorter, but also Banks does a better job of providing context and keeping things moving along. There is the big picture of AIM, but also trivia that is interesting, like Marlon Brando's support and the role Banks played in trying to get Patty Hearst released.

That makes two really good books and one pretty good book available through the library system, and one kind of horrible one with information that could surely be found elsewhere and better, but at least I didn't have to pay for it or worry about getting it back on time.

And also lots of thoughts. Some of them here:


No comments: