Thursday, December 08, 2016

Album Review: Parachutes by Frank Iero and the Patience


I have gone back and forth on whether to consider this a new band or not, having already done a concert review for frnkieroandthe cellabration.

As much as I mourn the absence of HoCho and welcome the return of conventional spacing and spelling (unless "patience" actually refers to people under the medical care), I am going on the premise that the most important factor in continuity is Frank himself, and that it is reasonable to view this outing as a continuation, and evolution.

The first thing you notice is that Parachutes is much louder than Stomachaches. That might not be the right word, but there was something low-key before that is gone. You hear it right away on the opening track, "World Destroyer". (The title implies a certain aggression.)

It's not all anger. Right after "World Destroyer" you go into "Veins! Veins! Veins!" which has an exultant feel. It reminds me of "Joyriding", so there are definitely connections between the 2014 and 2016 albums, but there is still a noticeable difference.

The track that tied it together for me was "Remedy", when the word "stomachaches" jumped out at me.

Listening further, the song contains a conflict of being ruined by being fixed; the remedy is a malady, and there is no solution for the new malady. Most significantly, it ends "until you came through and made me believe I was worth being saved." The wish in "Joyriding" was "I hope I die before they save my soul".

There are many ways in which it is easier not to feel and love and hope, and yet all of the hardship together brings something better. At least it can.

Parachutes is alive with emotion. Stomachaches had feelings, but Parachutes feels like they have all broken through and are spilling over. Everything is messy now. "Oceans" just aches, and "Miss Me" is so plaintive it's almost country. There had been a little safety reserved before, but now everything is out and open.

There is a terrifying plunge up head, and having a parachute can make that work.





No comments: