Friday, December 09, 2016

Band Review: LostAlone



I have had LostAlone on my recommended list for a while now, after a mention by Frank Iero. It seemed reasonable to pair them with his review.

It remains hard to know what to say about them. They feel like a very unique band, not in that they never remind me of anyone else, but in the way that they do.

I have seen some comparisons to Queen. I don't think the sound is similar, but they impart a majesty to their music, which does correlate. I think this is best heard on "Hostages" and especially "Crusaders", which soars musically and references epic themes.

In that way, LostAlone actually reminds me more of Styx and REO Speedwagon. That is not meant pejoratively. They have a big sound, and there is some philosophical heft, but it is still comfortably rock.

That could give the band a niche - fans of melodic '70s rock that can be comfortably turned into a full-on musical should check LostAlone out - but it is the other similarities I hear that make everything so fascinating.

"Honey and Burlesque" reminds me of "Longview" by Green Day. There is a primal rhythm sometimes (like on "Telepathy Nights") that reminds me of Queens of the Stone Age. They do covers of Metallica and Darlene Love. There was even a song that reminded me of "Every Snowflake is Different", the song My Chemical Romance performed on "Yo Gabba Gabba" ("Love Will Eat You Alive").

There is also some really aggressive guitar. All over the place.

None of that is intended to make them sound unoriginal or derivative, but to point out their breadth. LostAlone can go a lot of different places, in a lot of different directions.

With all of that being found in there, it is a terrible shame that LostAlone is no longer together, apparently as a result of a restrictive and unsupportive label.

It can also be an opportunity as they work on new projects. I will be reviewing Steven Battelle next week in conjunction with Ray Toro's new album, because he recommended Battelle. I was not previously aware of the connection between Battelle and LostAlone, other than both having been recommended by MCR members, but now it's synergy.




No comments: