Thursday, February 02, 2017

Band Review: The Night


The Night is a Portland rock band with a punk sensibility.

The attitude feels punk, but they do not have the traditional speed. My first thought is that I hear a jazz influence. That does not make them slow or mellow at all. Listen to "Reckless Road" if you need proof of that. "Misery" has some elements of metal, and a bridge that grooves.

That I hear those elements indicates (I think) a certain level of sophistication, and a well-rounded musical education on the parts of the band members. That does not have to be incompatible with being in your face.

While they are a local band for me, I'm not sure I would have found them on my own. Someone I follow on Twitter did know about them, though, and she made me want to check them out. Music has its ways and I enjoyed the introduction.


No comments: