Friday, February 17, 2017

Band Review: Wesley Willis


I have gotten really emotional listening to Wesley Willis,

I'm sure it hit harder because of other things that are going on, with questions about reality and medication that will be dealt with more in some of the non-music posts.

I first saw Wesley Willis recommended by Face the King, though Berwanger mentions him a lot. There wasn't anything that would give me a context for who he was, also an artist, also schizophrenic and known for his obscene phrases and bestiality references that were a way of fighting his demons as he personified them.

That gave me concerns about listening, largely about whether I was even up for listening to a lot of profanity and bestiality references, but also worries about whether it was exploitative (a common concern for many critics). It started out okay, with me avoiding certain song titles, and then really turned around with Rock n Roll Will Never Die.

That is my favorite of his albums, for multiple reasons. I love the cover, with his art in the background and a really happy looking Willis in the foreground. Given the joy that rock gave him, that feels appropriate, and then the songs started reminding me of the joy that rock shows give me.

The tracks are repetitive - musically and lyrically. The music repeats because it was usually pre-programmed tracks from his keyboard. That works. I have played with Casios and Yamahas and they had tracks I would just listen to sometimes. I knew they were formulaic, but it was a formula that worked.

(Actually, there are parts of the musical and vocal delivery that remind me a bit of zydeco artist John Delafose, which makes me wonder how Willis might have been different if he had been in New Orleans instead of Chicago.)

The lyrics made me think more. If the crowd roared like a lion at multiple shows, well, that does happen at multiple shows. At smaller shows you do get to meet the band a lot. I don't know if jam sessions after are common - maybe that was specific bands or venues or maybe you only get to go to those if you are a musician, but yes, there are things that are the same. It doesn't make the thrill less sincere or enjoyment less real. Some people worry about describing it in a way that is new; Willis used familiar words but he used them sincerely.

That was when the repetition of commercials jingles started to make more sense. A lot of them become earworms and blend with the soundtrack of parts in your life. The Pontiac one - yeah, my brain repeated that one at odd moments too.

One of the last songs I heard was "Outburst". It has a different backing track. His vocal delivery is different, despite some familiar phrases. It makes sense for it to stand out. The other songs are real, but they are either about fun things or playful about bad things. "Outburst" is serious and real and heartbreaking. Getting kicked out of the art store and faced with a potential ban goes beyond embarrassment because of the importance of his art to him. It's worse than getting thrown out of church (which also happened).

Paired with "Chronic Schizophrenia" on Rush Hour, it feels like a greater opening up. It makes you wonder how much more someone has to take. Then you get the answer because that was 2000 and in 2003 leukemia killed him, so there you go. (And it's long ago enough that there wasn't a big web presence, but I am including some links about his art.)

There are laughs in the songs - "Cut the Mullet" comes to mind ("Do something about your long filthy hair") - but there is a lot of sadness too. That is probably aggravated by only learning he even existed fourteen years after his death. There is also relief that he had an outlet. He made something, and it was real, and it's still out there. His voice was raised and heard.


No comments: