Thursday, February 09, 2017

Band Review: Terrie Odabi


I read about Terrie Odabi in a Smithsonian magazine article by Touré, "Keeping the Blues Alive". She is fantastic.

If I recall correctly, the point of the article is that as much as we might associate Blues with the past, there are constantly new artists coming up from different places. Therefore, it makes sense that part of what is so compelling about Odabi is her freshness and vitality.

The tradition is still there. It's there in the vocal inflections, and the bass lines, and all the things that make you listen and know this is Blues. I appreciate her nod to an even older history through her version of "Wade in the Water". There are also indicators of the world-weariness that is so much a part of the Blues, despite Odabi's strength and energy.

This is not my most familiar genre, so some of what I interpret as novelty may be as much a matter of her origin in the Bay Area instead of the Delta. More than that I think this is just someone who is talented and powerful and thus she comes with life and fresh air in her breath.

My favorite track was "Gentrification Blues". The problem it speaks to is not exactly new, though persistent. Starting with primal beats and calls, then quickly bringing in a some funky keyboard, the instruments are strong but they never detract from Odabi plainly and rightly making her point. It's true and it's invigorating.

I feel like a lot of Blues fans will gravitate to "Hold Up the Light", but in general 2014's Evolution of the Blues and 2016's My Blue Soul are both strong offerings, and worth checking out.

Otherwise, I think Portland's Waterfront Blues Festival would be well-advised to try and get her here.





No comments: