Friday, February 12, 2021

Review retrospective: The All-American Rejects, Part 1

I could not limit myself to one week of songs from The All-American Rejects. Since I have enough thoughts about them two fill two distinct Friday posts, I am going to allow it.

Many years ago there was a question posted on Facebook: if you were in charge of a music festival, which five bands would you book?

This was very easy for me. In no particular order, the line-up would be Gin Blossoms, The Presidents of the United States of America, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Maroon 5, and The All-American Rejects.

This was because they were all bands I had wanted to see, and then not been able to for one reason or another. Getting to see them all would be a concert of great healing.

The first three were all bands that I had wanted to see in college, and had even played Eugene (the Daddies played there all the time). With no money, no transportation, and working a lot of nights, it just didn't seem possible. 

Between graduating college in 1996 and getting onto Twitter in 2012, most of the time current music felt like a vast wasteland. Yes, I did get into The Clash and Ramones around 2000, but that was more discovering that there was older music that I missed, not that there was still new stuff. However, at one point in wondering if there was some new stuff, I started going through my sister Maria's CD collection.

This is where I found The All-American Rejects. I loved them immediately. Then they were going to play in Salem, but I couldn't go, so there was yet another miss.

It was also during this time period (though through a different source) that I heard Songs About Jane by Maroon 5. I loved it, and I did actually have tickets to see them. I got sick, and so Maria went with a date. That was disappointing.

Between then and 2012, it just felt like Maroon 5 was getting more tool-ish, and I don't need that particular healing any more. 

Also, I have gotten to where I have wanted to see and then been able to see many more bands, including all of the other four. The Presidents and Daddies were before I started doing reviews, and it's fine. I am glad I got to see them, and it's okay.

My feelings for the other two go much deeper, and the Gin Blossoms will get their own week, but after I actually write something about the new bands that I encountered through Twitter. 

But first, two weeks on the Rejects. There is a lot to them for me, and a lot of that starts in 2012.

For now I want to say that they are my bridge band. They are tied to what I had liked before, but also tied to all the bands I found later, many of whom had been around for a while.

Perhaps that makes it make sense that they are synonymous with hope for me. 

That is probably more for their music, and for an emotional response that I had early. 

One part of reviewing lots of different bands and studying some types of music more is increased appreciation. This band is a lot more technically solid than I had originally realized.

Before that, there was hearing the lyrics and the pathos in Tyson Ritter's voice, and seeing that they would call themselves "Rejects" but still hearing hope and energy and optimism there. "Change Your Mind" is especially important to me there. 

But the songs are mostly going to go in order, and the first eight are going to be from the first two albums.

“Swing Swing” -- I heard this one before I listened to the CD. There were times when you could randomly catch a music video on television, so that was probably how.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtypSRcwIhA

“My Paper Heart” -- The first track on their first CD and excellent work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Ngbdvj9lc

“Your Star” and “Change Your Mind” -- With these two, especially the second, it feels like they are acknowledging all the hurts and doubts, and then encouraging me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d0h0xaj99s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAVoKsr_1SM

"The Last Song" -- This one stands out to me because I caught a glimpse of the video on TV, but then thought it was "Drive Away" (I guess because I saw a part with the car, but the tempos are similar) and could not find it again for a long time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DpGuk_fWGQ

“Dance Inside” -- It's mainly because the song is beautiful, but this year the band put out an album of favorites, and this was the first track, which I found extremely validating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fYGpvCe_yM

"Dirty Little Secret" -- Fun song with a touching video, but for me it's really the intro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPDcwjJ8pLg

"Straitjacket Feeling" -- This may give a better sense of that "pathos" I referenced, but also, I love it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVe8K5coxJE

Like I love this band.

No comments: