Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Accidentally, again, Black History Month

When I decided to focus on Black directors for 2019, it took a lot longer than I had planned, stretching well into 2020.

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2020/11/black-history-month-2019-black-directors.html

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2020/02/black-history-month-2019-overview-black.html

That was a great project, and I am fine with it going over. I did read some things at the same time, and I actually wrote an update about it in February of 2020, as well as some other events:

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2020/02/black-history-month-random-readings.html

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2020/02/black-history-month-2019-and-2020.html 

It felt like I wasn't really getting anywhere on books relevant to Black history that I intended to read, but as I started tracking works by Black authors and read by me, I realized there was more than I had thought

It mostly came out in ways I could not have predicted.

For example, I did a brief reading list related to education that it looks like I never blogged about. Given the times when I read the books, and how much farther apart than intended they ended up being, that makes sense. However, that involved reading from Eve Ewing and bell hooks.

With bell hooks, I specifically wanted to read two that mentioned teaching, but then I looked to see what else she has written, and saw a handful of children's books. I won't rule out some day reading everything by bell hooks, because her work inspires me. Without having the time for that then, I could still read the children's books.

Then, there wasn't just the one book by Eve Ewing, but also I'd read something about her writing for Marvel, so again, let's just see what all is out there, and there was poetry, as well as comics. I can read all those!

(Though two of the comics compilations are still on hold with the library, after a really long time. Still, The Crow finally came, so I am sure they will too.) 

It was reading about issues of fatness that led me to read Fearing the Black Body by Sabina Strings and Thick by Tressie Cottam McMillan.

It appears that my reading has become fairly integrated. When I am looking into any topic, I am aware of Black authors who have written on the topic. I like that.

I also still have enough that I still want to read and target that I am not ready to give up the months. Clearly they have become more than months, but that's okay.

It is questionable how much since it makes to go over a year's worth of reading as if it is for one month, but that may look different given the amount of time where I could not blog.

For now, tomorrow I want to go over that educational reading.

In June, for Black Music Month, I will request I Tina, The Beautiful Ones, and Le Freak from the library. These are technically from my music biography list, not my Black History list, but it works. 

Because of availability, I will also read A Promised Land and watch Ma Rainey's Black Bottom. I should try and watch One Night In Miami.

I will do an update after that. 

Then, I plan to focus on other lists, but pull in at least one book from the Black History list every month. 

Ideally, I will get caught up on the other lists by February 2022, and then I can really focus on that very long list. 

Things never go as planned, but sometimes the surprises and corrections are pretty good.

So I go on. 

Related post:

https://sporkful.blogspot.com/2017/12/an-accidental-black-history-month.html

No comments: