Wednesday, May 19, 2021

School Board Elections: Results

I have spent most of my day on hold (not related to this), so just a short update.

I did find an article about how weird this year has been, election-wise. I think it is missing a lot, but it is something:

https://www.pdxmonthly.com/news-and-city-life/2021/04/the-strangest-election-in-america-right-now-is-this-portland-school-board-race

Nonetheless, the Portland School District candidate who was known for promoting QAnon stories, Margo Logan, lost by a large margin. That seems worth celebrating. 

One of the pro-bigotry candidates did win in Roseburg for sure, and it looks like one for the Portland Community College Board too.

It is impossible to track it all. However, the better candidates swept Beaverton School District. I do feel good about that.

Hillsboro currently shows as 2 and 2, with margins so close that I imagine there will have to be a recount. 

One thing the PDXMonthly article pointed out was that this past time period, between the pandemic and Trump presidency and attempts to continue that presidency despite the will of the majority of the votes has really tired people out. It has also made people of color more wary to come forward.

I understand that completely, but the bigots appear to be indefatigable. They will keep putting more candidates forward, and continue spreading lies.

That means everyone else needs to step up.

We need to understand our own issues with racism, sexism, and homophobia, but also ableism and every other way that some try to exert power over others.

We need to step in when abuse is being directed against people of color.

We need to support good candidates. Sometimes that may mean being candidates.

I cannot adequately express how tired I am all the time. I would really rather not have to think about this. 

Because I care about people, I have to think about it anyway, but if we all do it together, maybe it won't be so bad.


No comments: