Friday, January 12, 2024

Native American Heritage Month: Spotlight on Robbie Robertson

The list originally appeared in December 2020, but I saw it later than that:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/books-greatest-rock-memoirs-of-all-time-161198/ 

Some of them I have read and agree with, I disagree with others, but there were six that I added to my list from that. Three down; three to go. (I believe there will be a post on that when I get there.)

With Robbie Robertson, I was searching for Testimony at the library and several materials came up:

Music From Big Pink, an album by The Band
Rock & Roll Highway: The Robbie Robertson Story, a children's book by Robbie's son, Sebastian Robertson, and illustrated by Adam Gustavson
Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band, a documentary
Legends, Icons, & Rebels: Music That Changed the World, a book by both Robbie and Sebastian, as well as Jim Guerinot and Jared Levine
The Last Waltz, a documentary of The Band's final concert

Also, of course, Testimony by Robbie Robertson.

Well, you know how I like diving in. 

One of the most interesting things for me was that I often don't find Robertson looking like himself, except when he's playing guitar. Somehow that just shows his essence.

The worst part of it for me was some difference in musical tastes. Largely that was because there was so much Dylan.

I do not care for him.

The Legends book goes over 27 influential musicians. I can't argue with any of them or their impacts, but not only did I have to listen to Bob Dylan more, there was a duet with him in the section on  Johnny Cash. Aggravating! 

(January songs are coming from that book.)

Even The Band is not exactly my taste, though there are songs that I like.

That being said, I found the documentaries and the memoir really interesting. There is so much rock history and fellowship there, as well as band dynamics and interpersonal relationships, which interest me a lot. 

I did get tired of the drugs though. If you're reading about music in the 60s and 70s, it feels like it never stops.

Regardless of my lack of enthusiasm for Bob Dylan (and The Beatles), I don't regret any of the reading, viewing and listening choices relating to Robbie Robertson. There are other thoughts though, and they relate to identity. 

I said last week that I would post about the November songs in this post, but it made sense to write about Robbie Robertson first. Then, looking at identity along with another band and a television personality, the songs I chose will make more sense.

No comments: