Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Writing update

I have gotten a few questions about what is going on, so here we go.

The screenplay was submitted to one person who showed interest, and who was planning on filming in New Mexico anyway, though that property was having problems. He pointed out some changes that needed to be made, and a new draft was submitted. Now he wants still more changes, though there is still no money changing hands or commitments.

The good part is that a professional is actually looking at it, and considering it as having potential. Sure, if we were professionals instead of aspiring, there would be an advance or something like that going on, but we’re not, and this is closer than I have ever gotten. I completely understand that.

The downside is I have no motivation to go back and look at more changes. I keep trying, and then recoiling. Sometimes forcing myself to open the file and sit in front of it helps, but I admit I am having a hard time. I might be a little overextended, or maybe just cranky from the criticism, as I think he has a different vision than we do, and if you want to get paid, sometimes the artistic vision gets tweaked.

Anyway, I am going to keep trying on that. I wish we had been farther along when all of this started happening. As it was, I submitted the second round of changes right before I started the new job, and that’s where the overextension comes in. Actually, my most compelling reason for wanting to write professionally is that it would leave me time and energy for writing, which a full time job really cuts into.

Anyway, I think the next few posts will focus on different writing-related things, and maybe that will get me in the mood.

24 minutes walking outside
Wall sits
Mark 5

No comments: